Did you know that the average female smiles 62 times a day? Can you believe that children laugh about 400 times each day? (Actually, you probably could guess that one). So how important are your teeth to you now that you know those statistics? San Antonio TX dentists can help kids and adults smile more brightly than ever. Here are five fun facts about dentistry and what you can do to keep your teeth healthy:
1. The human mouth is too small to accommodate wisdom teeth. Our smaller-shaped modern mouths often end up with wisdom teeth that are impacted or unable to come in, which can be painful. Be sure to have your wisdom teeth removed if you sense any problems and get checked regularly by your dentist to avoid partially erupted wisdom teeth, which can cause infection.
2. Certain types of bacteria that cause cavities can be contagious. Keep your teeth safe by flossing regularly. However, 73% of Americans would rather go grocery shopping than floss!
3. 94% of Americans say that they brush their teeth on a nightly basis, where only 81% say they brush first thing in the morning. Brushing is a necessity to avoid cavities, gum disease and other harmful dental infections.
4. Keep your sugar intake to a minimum. Studies have shown that people who drink at least three sugary sodas daily have 62% more dental decay, tooth loss, and fillings.
5. The earliest known dental work was performed between 7,500 and 9,000 years ago. Some teeth were found to contain drilled holes and are believed to have been filled with material. Even your prehistoric ancestors agreed with San Antonio TX dentists in the importance to tooth care!