So, you’re teeth are crooked and you need something to straighten them out. You’ve been considering normal braces for a while, but you’ve recently heard that there’s an alternative. Invisalign is a word that seems to keep popping up around you. But what is it? How does it work? Why should you consider Invisalign instead of braces?
At Cosmetic Dental Associates, we’ll answer all of these questions and more so that you can make an informed decision about your course of treatment.
What is Invisalign and how does It Work?
Invisalign is a system that uses clear aligners to straighten teeth as opposed to standard braces, which use metal ones. Once it has been determined where and how pressure needs to be applied to correct the problem, the dentist will create a unique mold of your teeth and use it to design an aligner that will gently push the teeth into place. After you have received your initial set of aligners, you will return to the office every two weeks so that the dentist can check your progress and provide you with a new set.
Why do I have to Get new Aligners so Often?
Braces require a visit for tightening every 4-6 weeks, compared with the every two weeks or so that Invisalign demands. While every 4-6 weeks may seem convenient if you are looking to visit the dentist as little as possible, there is a purpose to the frequency of Invisalign adjustments that is worthwhile if you really want to improve your smile.
By creating a new aligner every two weeks, Invisalign is actually better able to keep up with the changes in your teeth. This means that it will usually take less time to achieve optimal results with this product than with traditional braces, which are harder to adjust and less precise.
Invisalign vs. Braces
So what, in the end, makes Invisalign so much better than standard braces?
- As mentioned above, the system can be quicker than braces and furthermore, it can be about the same amount of money or sometimes cheaper.
- While it may seem like a disadvantage that aligners, rather like retainers, can be set down and misplaced, you can be provided with several and they are easily replaced.
- Invisalign allows people to straighten their teeth without the fuss. There’s no way to get typical braces without attracting notice and you’re sure to hear some “metalmouth” comments that won’t exactly please you. With clear aligners, no one has to know that you are trying to fix your teeth unless you want them to.
- Imagine having braces and enduring months and years of not being able to brush properly and having to avoid certain foods that might cause problems. With Invisalign, you can simply take off your aligner when you need to and replace it when you are done.
- Contrary to popular belief, Invisalign can fix just about any crooked smile out there, provided that you have a highly skilled dentist working with you — something we can boast that we have in Dr. John Moore.
When it comes to answering the Invisalign vs. braces question, we’d like to think that we have the answer. If you are looking for a way to straighten your teeth that won’t impact your life and will achieve maximum results, Invisalign is the way to go.