Jane* had not been to the dentist in decades. She was still trying to overcome the memories of visiting her childhood dentist.
She had a tooth infection as a teenager, and that meant she had to get a root canal. She could still hear the sound of the drill. As bad as that was, the worst part was how her dentist treated her. By the end of the appointment, Jane felt like she had done something wrong. The dentist lectured her and basically made her feel guilty for having an oral health problem, which frankly affects millions of people.
Even so, Jane knew that regular dental care would be necessary to maintain her oral health. When she finally decided to come back, she looked for an office where she would feel comfortable. She chose Cosmetic Dental Associates in San Antonio, TX, and today, she is enjoying better oral health and gradually becoming more comfortable visiting the dentist.
If, like Jane, you or someone you love struggles with dental anxiety, call 210-951-4444 (Medical Center) 210-942-5047 (Alamo Ranch) to find out how we could help you.
One Step At A Time
By some estimates, as many as 1 in 7 people in the United States avoid the dentist due to fear or anxiety. The reasons for this can include:
- Feeling embarrassed by the condition of their teeth
- Worrying that the dentist will lecture them or make them feel worse about any oral health issues they have
- Being concerned that a dental treatment will be pain
- Fearing that they will gag during their appointment
This isn’t a complete list, but these are some of the most common concerns we have heard from patients who have avoided making a dental appointment for many years. For a lot of people, making the appointment is the hardest part.
So many patients have found that we offer something different than what they were expecting. We think our patient-first approach also is why so many people become regular visitors to our office. Now, we aren’t going to tell you that your anxiety will disappear after one appointment with us. However, we have found that many people feel less and less anxious each time they come to see us.
What We Do
In addition to helping you have the healthiest mouth possible, our patients’ comfort is one of our top priorities. Our team will do our best to help you feel at ease any time you visit us.
As part of our everyday practices we:
- Listen to your concerns and answer your questions
- Explain what you can expect during your treatment
- Use our training, experience, and skill to make your care as pain-free as possible
- Offer private rooms so you don’t feel self-conscious
- Provide comfort options, like cozy blankets, so you can relax
- Schedule longer appointments so you don’t feel rushed
We also use local anesthetic to numb the area being treated, so you don’t feel anything.
Choose Treatment You Can Trust
We want you to leave your dental anxiety behind when you walk out of our San Antonio dentist office. Our experts will work with you to overcome your fear of the dentist. Call 210-951-4444 (Medical Center) 210-942-5047 (Alamo Ranch) today or fill out our online form to learn more about Cosmetic Dental Associates, so you can decide if you want to visit us, too.
In the meantime, listen to what some of our patients have said about their experience with us.
* Jane isn’t a real person, but we have met and helped many people with similar stories to hers.